Pickup lines don’t have a stellar reputation, and using them is frowned upon by many. But these nifty conversation starters are hardly deserving of such a harsh judgment. When used correctly, they are an effective way for someone to connect with a person they’re interested in. The negativity stems from the ignorant view that pickup lines are automatically cringe-inducing or rude, or on the more severe side, overtly sexual and degrading. While we can concede to a degree – some pick up lines do fit the bill – it should be noted that many other types are none of those things. You have cheesy, cute, and romantic lines; you also have funny ones that are a favorite icebreaker. There are also slightly suggestive quips that, while brimming with sexual innuendo, are still flattering and not at all degrading.
You need to remember only one thing regardless of the type of pick up line you want to use: make it smooth. Doing so will increase your chances of getting a date or hooking up with the next person who catches your eye.
The Anatomy of a Smooth Pick up Line
Smooth pickup lines can be sweet, romantic, funny – basically, however, you want them to be. But they do share most, if not all, of the following characteristics:
- Creative or witty
- To the point
- Not too funny
- Not corny
- Doesn’t idealize the recipient
- Doesn’t cast the speaker as inferior
Examples of Smooth Pick up Lines
If you were words on a page, you’d be fine print.
This is a smooth pickup line because it is short and to the point, and has character. It is witty as well – not corny, but slightly cheesy. Saying it signifies your attraction towards the other person without going overboard with compliments.
Don’t we have a class together? I could’ve sworn we have chemistry.
This is a classic, smooth opener. It doesn’t feel like a pickup line outright because it is worded creatively, so that it seems you’re just asking a question. And since that’s the case, the intended recipient is more likely to respond. It is also short, and once you say the other half, funny enough for them to give you attention.
The only thing your eyes haven’t told me is your name.
The strong entrance of this pickup line is primarily what makes it smooth. It assumes there’s already a connection, and your approach and the ensuing conversation are a natural progression. It’s creative in its audacity and to the point.
The Art of Using Smooth Pickup Lines
It’s not enough that you know what makes a pickup line smooth, and you can now commit a few lines to memory for future use. No matter how smooth your pick up line is, it can still fall flat if you don’t pay attention to delivery. Here are a few tips that can help:
- Confidence is key. Avoid awkward body language, and try to shake off the nerves before you approach. Stand tall with your shoulders back, and walk purposefully.
- Your delivery should be effortless. Don’t look and sound like you just memorized the pickup line. Avoid mumbling, but don’t talk over everybody else. Say the words clearly and do not rush.
- Maintain eye contact to show sincerity. Darting eyes will make you look suspicious and untrustworthy while looking down will give the impression that you’re nervous, which is not the kind of energy you want to give off when saying a smooth pickup line.